Solved

Coordinate consistence after a mirror folder before a black box surface

• 4 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have a question about the 3D layout as follows:

As you can see, after adding a mirror, the layout looks wired. I am thinking the reason is because the thickness of the black box is fixed to <80.784> mm, so it’s always a positive number, which causes the inconsistence of the coordinate system after a folding mirror. How can I change it or modify the settings to have a consistent optical ray tracing path?

Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Alissa Wilczynski 6 January 2022, 00:57

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Xinpeng, sorry no one answered this sooner. Hopefully the answer is still helpful. Every time you introduce a mirror into your system, you want the thickness value of that surface and all following surfaces to change sign. This means that surfaces 2, 3 should be negative thickness, surfaces 4-6 would be positive, 7-11 would be negative. Unfortunately, you need to know more about how the black box was created to know if it’s going to operate in the right mirror space for your needs. Given that it’s using a positive thickness, I think you need the original creator to give you a new black box exported from a system with a mirror placed ahead of the black box elements, so that rays travel in the negative direction.

Excerpt from OpticStudio Help document on Black Boxes