Solved

Color rendering on detector surface

• 27 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello everybody,
I'm facing a color rendering problem on a rather complex electro-mechanical system, where I have several lights with different colors. Having to evaluate the light pollution of some details, I would need a rendering like the one generated by the color detector but with infinite focus or shaped according to the surface in question. I can't use the detector polar because it doesn't satisfy the geometric needs of the system. Do you have any idea about it?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by MichaelH 11 February 2023, 00:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Luca.cellerino 

Sorry for the delay in the reply but I don’t see how this can be done in Zemax. Speos has some more advanced colour rendering features, so it might be something to look at. I can put you in contact with one of my Speos colleagues just to get a better idea. Do you have a sketch that shows what you are trying to achieve?

Let us know. Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Luca,

I think the problem is the “infinite focus or shaped” aspect.  Non-Sequential objects are inherently tesselated (pixelated) for all detection.  Just like you can't infinitely zoom in on a JPEG file without losing a lot of detail, you can’t zoom in on a (curved) object without the local region of interest starting to look like a giant a triangle.  

If you have access to the ACIS libraries, there is Maximum edge length feature which will limit the size of the triangle; a smaller number will mean a smaller triangle, more triangles per object, a larger memory footprint and a longer ray trace, but it will provide more “resolution” of the tesselation.  You can use Boolean CAD object to turn any native object into a CAD object to expose the Maximum edge length.  Then in the Type tab, you can check Object Is A Detector so the irradiance is recorded for each tesselated triangle.

Not elegant but might get the job done.