Solved

chief ray tracing error

Hello everyone,

I have a problem when adding new lenses inside my system. I have already worked on a dynamic zoom  before (the third first elements including two adaptative surface and a doublet). Now I added a mirror, and I want to add the first lens of a tube lens of a microscope, before adding the objective. (capture 1)

However, I got a big error as you can see on the second capture. I have already tried to moove the stop closer to the mirror with dummy surfaces. However, it doesn’t change anything. The first error I got si in a pop up window (missed surface 21), and then: “cannot compute when chief ray cannot be traced”. (capture 2)

The thing is, I already tried to do the same process without adding these lenses, but by adding paraxial lens instead. I was then able to add the whole objective after, as you can see. (capture 3)

But I wasn’t able to convert this system in non sequential mode because of the presence of paraxial lens I guess. That is why I am now trying to add “real lenses”, and got the error I described before.(capture 2).

If anyone as an idea on how to correct this error, I would be really grateful.

Cheers,

Marie Fournier.

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 19 May 2022, 17:46

View original

5 replies

Capture 1

Capture 2

Capture 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Remember that after a mirror all thicknesses change sign. It may be best to add all the surfaces you want before adding the fold mirror. That way the Add Fold Mirror tool will handle all the signs for you.

That may not be it, of course, in which case just tracing the chief ray and seeing what the ray trace reports is the best way to proceed.

• Mark

Hello mark, thank you for your help. Placing the lenses before placing the mirror into the system was effective!

Best regards,

Marie.