Solved

Cannot detect object coordinates!'

• 22 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I'm Shin Jeong-yong working for Samsung Electronics.

After opening the Blackbox.zar provided by the lens design company in OpticStudio,

the error 'Cannot detect object coordinates!' occurs when the lens is reversed with the guide below,

can you tell me the cause?

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005575602-How-to-reverse-an

icon

Best answer by Andrey.Pravdivtsev 22 April 2022, 10:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

If I correct BlackBox works correct only for the position it was saved. Ask lens design company to reverse the system and send it to you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Andrey.Pravdivtsev  is correct, a black box cannot be reversed. If you need to trace rays in the direction opposite that of how the black box was saved, then the person who provided you with the original black box needs to follow the instructions in that article to reverse their optical system, then send you a black box created from that reversed system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@kivahan75 What version of OpticStudio are you using?  In 21.2 (summer of 2021), OpticStudio added the capability of reversing a Black Box:

The “Cannot detector object coordinates” comes from a Ray Aiming failure, so if you’re using OS 21.2 or more recent and you get this error, I would look into the recommendations for Ray Aiming failures (i.e., increase the front aperture of S1, make sure fields are defined in object space, use Robust Ray Aiming, etc).  Also, if you can update to OS 22.1, then you might be able to utilize the new Enhanced Ray Aiming:

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415991777299-Introduction-to-Enhanced-Ray-Aiming-and-Ray-Aiming-Wizard

Also, take a look at the LDE after you reverse the system.  Since you cannot have a buried Stop in a blackbox system, the Stop has to be on a dummy surface in the system.  When you reverse the Black Box system, sometimes the Stop is not physically located on the correct surface and you’ll need to manually change this in the LDE itself.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks for the correction, @MichaelH! I had missed that product update - it’s a good one!

Userlevel 1

I think I didn't know much about the function of OpticStudio because I just entered optics.
That's right. I have to create a black box after reversing the lens system so that "Cannot detector object coordinates" do not occur.

Thanks for @Alissa Wilczynski , @MichaelH , @Andrey.Pravdivtsev  “