Camera calibration matrix from a lens design in OpticsStudio

• 22 October 2020
  • 1 reply

I am looking for a way to determine the camera calibration matrix using openCV or similar from a lens design in OpticsStudio. Points in 3D object space are trraced to 2D positions on the image sensor and you should know which 3D point corresponds to a 2D point.

One method would be to trace one field point (using object height) at a time and read out the spot position from the footprint diagram and then make a short python or matlab program to move around the field point and also change object distance.

Or is there a better/faster way? Can the grid distortion plot or similar be used for this somehow?

Best regards,

/Richard

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Richard,

I think you have the right idea, though I think depending on your needs, I wonder if it make more sense to pre-define your field of view in the Field Data Editor and use a script to loop over object distances. I mention this because we actually have another forum thread here that seems to overlap a great deal with your topic.

In short, while you could potentially use the Footprint Diagram to retrieve spot locations, using the Grid Distortion or the Field Curvature/Distortion analyses might also get you the data you'd like a bit more directly. If you have Object Height points in your Field Data Editor already, then the analyses will report distortion information based on those definitions. You could then retrive different distortion data as you scan the object thickness value as needed.

Let us know how these thoughts work out for you, and thanks for posting on the forums here!

~ Angel