Solved

Bug/Annoyance with Multi-Config Editor

• 28 April 2022
  • 1 reply

In a file with multiple configurations, I am using an IGNM operand to ignore a range of surfaces. I find that if I edit the range of surfaces in the operand properties, the boolean values (0/1) that I have defined for all configurations change in unpredictable ways. Sometimes they seem to reset to 0, sometimes to 1. I find it very inconvenient that I have to re-evaluate/re-assign boolean values to all configurations after editing the line item- it would be preferable if all assigned values remained the same after the change takes effect.

I wonder if there are other operands that change value assignments in unexpected ways when the operand properties are modified?

icon

Best answer by Allie 5 May 2022, 18:33

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @David.Irwin 

Thanks for bringing this up! Looking into this, I don’t think it’s a bug. Rather, this is expected behavior for the MCE. 

Whenever we define an operand within the Multi-Configuration Editor, its initial value for all configurations will default to the current state as defined by the current configuration. I believe that may be what you’re seeing. 

For example, take the following system:

Here we have two sets of surfaces ignored. The current configuration is 2, so we see that in this case, surfaces 2, 3, 4, and 5 are ignored. Now, let’s say I change the First Surface to 3. What will happen is all configurations will be updated to match the state of this input. In other words, if surface 3 is ignored in the current configuration, then IGNM will be set to 1 for all configurations, as shown below:

If the active configuration had been configuration 3 before I made the update, then surface 3 would have been active. In that case, the first IGNM operand would have been set to 0 for all configurations. This type of update is based on the value of First Surface for the IGNM operand. 

This is the behavior we see for all operands. For example, if you add the operand THIC to the MCE, the initial value for all configurations will be the thickness for the surface in question within the current configuration.

I hope that helps clarify the behavior. Let me know if you have any other questions about this!