Question

Black box models and tolerance analysis

• 28 December 2023
  • 5 replies

My group is developing an optical model complete with tolerancing data.  We intend to turn this model into a black box file to disseminate.  We would like the people who have the black box file to be able to build their own optical system around the black box, including tolerances on their portion of the optical system.   We would like them to be able to run tolerance analysis on the overall system, incorporating the optical tolerances embedded in the black box’s optical model.

Is this possible?  We have not been able to determine from the Zemax manuals if the black box file incorporates the tolerances of the optical model that was black boxed.

Description of the work flow we want to happen:

optical model with tolerances => black box => incorporated into larger optical model by 3rd party => tolerances placed on added optical components by 3rd party => 3rd party performs tolerance analysis on entire system, which incorporates tolerancing data from the black boxed optical model

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The Black Box gives no access to the surface data and so tolerances cannot be applied. You can tilt and decenter the black box as a whole, but individual surface tolerances are off limits. 

Thank you for the response.  I understand that the user of the black box cannot alter the tolerances of anything in the black box, or put tolerances on the black box itself.  I would like to know if the user of the black box can reference the tolerances of surfaces within the black box for the purposes of performing tolerance analysis on a system they are building.

In short, I want to build a subassembly with tolerances applied and then put that into a black box.  Then I want to put that black box into a system and have a tolerance analysis run on that new, larger system.  

Is this possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No

Can you elaborate?  I assume this means the tolerancing information of a system is not stored when it is saved as a black box.  Would that be accurate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes that’s right. The more access we get to the contents of the black box, the easier it is to reverse engineer. So its a black box...no access to any of the internal workings