Solved

Beam Position Tolerancing for Retroreflective System

• 26 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am working with a multi-mirror system consisting of beam expanding mirrors, focusing mirrors, active folding mirrors, and windows. At the end of this system is a corner cube retroreflector. I am attempting to do a sensitivity tolerancing analysis where I allow the mirrors in the system to decenter +/- 0.2 mm and tip/tilt +/- 0.2 degrees with the goal being that the retroreflected light remain at its same position where the image plane lies. I am uncertain whether any of the default tolerancing criterion can help with this task. However, I believe either the Physical Optics Propagation Prop Report or Prescription Data may help with the retroreflected beam positon. Is there a way to get this sort of data through a tolerancing analysis? 

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 27 May 2021, 14:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Trevor,

I think the boresight error might be a good criterion. It measures the radial coordinate of the on-axis chief ray at the image plane divided by the effective focal length. I would recommend running one Monte Carlo file and then saving it. When you open that file, you will see in the merit function the definition of the criterion. If that criterion doesn't work for you, you can define a merit function as a criterion.

Feel free to open a case and share a file with us. We can help you in the set-up.

Sandrine

Hello Sandrine,

Thanks for your reply. Thanks to your suggestion to use the boresight merit function criterion, I was able to utilize the criterion and I believe it led me to the results I needed.