Solved

Analysis of plastic material according to temperature (within the range of -40 to 80 degrees)

• 10 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, i have some questions.

From what I understand, it is possible to analyze the absolute refractive index as a function of temperature if a thermal dispersion coefficient is provided.

For plastic materials and in the range of -40 to 80 degrees, is the simulation accurate when all of the thermal dispersion coefficient is provided ?

And for some plastic materials, it is confirmed that only one thermal dispersion coefficient(D0) is provided. I wonder if it would be accurate to simulate with this material within the same temperature range as above.

Thanks for reading my Post.

icon

Best answer by Ray 12 July 2021, 09:42

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

The refractive index change with temperature is only 1 part of the problem if you are talking of an optical system, not just a plate of plastic. Temperature will also mechanically distort the lenses and the optomechanics that are holding the lenses. This requires external simulation (STOP). Zemax has recently introduced a module called STAR that eases the integration with external software (e.g. ANSYS, COMSOL).

In addition, there can be a limitation of Zemax in the case where the temperature is not uniform within the system (e.g. you are close to the source or the heat comes for the light itself). IIRC, Zemax only considers a uniform temperature. It should be easy for them to add at least one temperature by surface/object, but gradient of tenmperature would need a little more work (using GRIN equations basically).

Plastics comes with variation (lot to lot, also from processing, e.g. stress birefringence) so it may be less necessary to be extemely accurate in the temperature behaviour. In general, if you need high accuracy with plastic for your system to work, you may already have a problem.