Solved

Advanced Settings for Wavefront Error

• 27 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I’d like to have a sanity check for correct calculation of wavefront error in the attached design. This sequential model is for collimation of a multi-mode laser diode onto an LCOS surface and I would like to assess the wavefront error at the LCOS.

Based on what I have read in the Help PDF and in the Zemax Community & Knowledgebase, I believe that for an afocal system with collimated beam at the image plane, I should use the Absolute 2 setting for Reference OPD under System Explorer\Advanced (rather than the default Exit Pupil). This is due to the fact that the exit pupil is a long distance (>26m in this specific model) from the image plane.

Adjusting the Reference OPD setting does make a big difference to the Wavefront Map and RMS value, so I would like to be sure that I have the correct setting before performing the Wavefront Error analysis (in the attached model and other similar ones).

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Michael

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 29 June 2023, 18:31

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Michael,

The red line here is your image surface. If your wavefront sensor is aligned along this surface, then use Absolute 2. If the sensor is aligned along the chief ray, so it is looking ‘straight into’ the beam, use Absolute 1. The difference will be the tilt due to the chief-ray angle, both are correct of course.