Solved

Optimizing complex shapes in non-sequential mode

Userlevel 2

We had an idea to optimize shapes parameterized by low-degree polynomials (or other shapes: ellipsoids, etc.). We want to maximize irradiance across a complex mesh detector (STL) by modifying another complex, not-radially-symmetric, surface.

From what I saw, the TrueFreeForm object isn't supported in non-sequential mode, and the Freeform-Z object limits the shape to a cylinder-like shape that varies in diameter.

Can we accomplish our goal using built-in OpticStudio stuff that I haven't seen yet? Or will we need to write our own stuff that generates meshes and runs the optimization? We have the means I think, I just didn't want to jump in if you had already solved this problem :)

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 5 May 2021, 17:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Chris

Yes the TrueFreeform object is not supported in non-sequential mode and the Freeform-Z object is a profile that is then rotated around Z.

In non-sequential mode, the objects with the most flexibility but not static are the Extended Polynomial Lens/Surface, Biconic Zernike Surface/Lens. 

Sandrine

Hi, 

Is it possible to make the design in SQ mode using a TrueFreeForm surface, export the lens as CAD and use it in NSQ mode?

Thanks in advance.

Ana.