Solved

STAR - thermal gradient cube

• 22 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I simulated a cube with a temperature gradient from 20° C to 45° C. A collimated beam is incident on the cube. I'm evaluating the wavefront. But the result surprised me. I expected the wavefront to be gradient as well. 

Do you know where the problem might be?

icon

Best answer by Jaroslav.Zadnik 21 March 2024, 12:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello Jaroslav,

did you check the “Afocal Image Space” option in the system explorer? This option impacts various analysis types and should be set when afocal systems are investigated.

Best regards
Benjamin

Hello Benjamin,

I have set affocal image system. 

But now, I trying set optimal ‘Fit assessment’ - there are many fit parameters options and each value gives a different output. How I can find the optimal settings?

Best regards,

Jaroslav

Badge +3

@Jaroslav.Zadnik 

Hi Jaroslav,

Thanks for posting here in the forum.

Allow me to break up your question in two aspects:

-1 The Fit Settings are very depended on the FEA Data itself. What FEA Software are you using to generate the data? As we are now under the same umbrella as Ansys Mechanical (The primary FEA Solution from Ansys), we are working on a script which looks at your FEA setting within Ansys Mechanical and based on those gives you the optimal Fit settings for the STAR Tab inside Zemax. 

• Stay tuned for that on our Code Exchange.

-2 For the time being, let me explain the settings to you, hopefully this already helps:

Grid 1,2 and 3: These define the control lattice of the fitting algorithm. Basically, the larger the Grid Parameters the more neighboring points are consulted from the algorithm, which results in a smoother fit. Number 3 is only for temp. FEA datasets and the values need be between 2 and 100.

Max Level: This is the max level of the Mesh refinement. Which is based on your initial Mesh parameters in the FEA Software.

Tolerance: This parameter is compared to the maximum absolute deviation of the fitted value from the raw FEA point. If the calculated deviation is smaller than the Tolerance parameter, the fitting algorithm will complete regardless of the number of refinement levels performed. This does not guarantee that the tolerance was achieved during fitting. Use the RMS error and PV error to assess the overall quality.

Feel free to ask any specific question you might have here and I`ll be more than happy to help,

Have a good day,

Flurin

Hi Flurin,

Thank you for summary. FEA data I use comes from ansys mechanical.

I did read the second part in the manual.

I’m interested in the script you mentioned. When it might be ready to use?

Have a good day,

Jaroslav

Just for clarify, OpticStudio takes a difference reference than I would expect, that’s why the wavefront error looks different.