Solved

STAR Module for Standard Surface within Non-sequential component.

• 24 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I understand that the STAR module operates within sequential mode, but can anyone confirm that it will never work within mixed-mode as well?

I have a Non-Sequential Component representing a segmented mirror, which is comprised of several Standard Surface Object Types with different user defined apertures (the mirror segments have different shapes). Is there a way to apply a FEA file to these “nested” Standard Surfaces?

Thank you,

Vince

icon

Best answer by Flurin Herren 25 January 2023, 13:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Welcome to my world of STAR/CAD/mixed-mode impediments!

Badge +3

Hi @Vincent.Sauer (And @James.Fry)

Thanks for posting your question here into the STAR Group!

As the Mixed Mode section is defined as a sequential surface, namely the “Non-Sequential Component”-Surface, and you cannot assign STAR Datasets to this surface, it wont be possible to apply STAR to any NSC Objects in a mixed mode system.

However, a workaround which might work would be to represent your segmented mirror with an Array of Grid Sag Surfaces within the NSC section of your mixed mode system. As the Grid Sag Surface is an object whose shape is defined by a rectangular array of points listed in a GRD file. This surface shape is similar to the sequential Grid Sag surface, although no Zernike terms are supported. 

So with the GRD file you could apply some simplified deformation data. This does have its limitations, as the sampling can be inadequate for accurate raytracing.

Let me know if you have any more questions,