Creating Thin Film Tapers

• 14 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I want to share this because I wasnt able to find any information on it in my original searches and the help is a little confusing on the requirements. I’ll use the PT (polynomial) taper as an example since its what I used.

To start with, an important element to remember is that anything in the coating has to come before it in the coating.dat file-so both the TAPR and the MATE have to be before the COAT to function properly. 

For each PT line, the first element is the order (x^2, x^1, etc) and the second the coefficient. As such, order zero defaults to 1, so it can be excluded here, but knowing its one is important for understanding how to generate coefficients. My initial error was that the coefficients (C2, C1, C0) where as follows, with a thickness d and a position x (in this case, looking at a single axis):

C2*x^2 +C1*x +C0=d(x)

However, this is inexact. For TAPR coefficient (g2, g1, g0) its more accurately the following:

d(0) * (g2*x^2 + g1*x+g0)=d(x)

To compare with the previous formulation:

g2=C2/C0=0.001, g1=C1/C0=0.02, g0=1, d(0)=10 

Hopefully this can save someone else the time it took me to figure this out.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Totally agree regarding TAPRs and proper implementation.  Took me a while to figure them out, too.  Now go on and tolerance the layer thicknesses!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Totally agree regarding TAPRs and proper implementation.  Took me a while to figure them out, too.  Now go on and tolerance the layer thicknesses!

Yeah, I’m working on a macro to be able to do the tolerancing. Still, before I realised that tapers existed, I thought I’d need to make a macro to vary coating thickness according to position!

Userlevel 1
Badge

These are recent tolerancing additions you might want to check out if you haven’t already:

TCMU: Tolerance on Coating Multiplier

TCIO: Tolerance on Coating Index Offset

TCEO: Tolerance on Coating Extinction Offset

Userlevel 1
Badge

These are recent tolerancing additions you might want to check out if you haven’t already:

TCMU: Tolerance on Coating Multiplier

TCIO: Tolerance on Coating Index Offset

TCEO: Tolerance on Coating Extinction Offset

Thank you very much! I’m fairly new to managing coatings, so this is very useful.