Solved

Zemax license visible but unavailable after Windows update

• 20 January 2022
  • 6 replies

IT services in my institution had to update Windows on my PC. I am an end user in a shared network perpetual license. However, although the HASP reads Okay and I can see the license in the license manager, on starting up optic studio I get an error message stating that no license was found. When reviewing similar questions I see people recommended to transfer the license, however I did not do this and would like to resolve this issue. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Don Dickinson 22 January 2022, 18:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Greetings,

Odd issue, normally Windows security updates don’t affect the license. They didn’t upgrade you from Windows 10 to 11 or something did they?

You cannot transfer the license since it’s a network license and activated on the server rather than your machine. Can you share a screenshot of the “view license” section in Zemax license manager? Also, please click “details” or the license number on that same screen in the license manager, and attach a screenshot of the details as well.

Thanks! 

Don D

On closer inspection looks like the license I was trying to use support ended last year. That must be what happened? I’ll check this with IT purchasing.

Apologies

Userlevel 3
Badge

What’s the license number you are accessing? It may still work even if support expired, though you would have to use an older version of Opticstudio if that is the case

Thanks, screenshots with the license key and error message attached. 

If I just have to use an older version of opticstudio then that’s no problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ok thanks!

I looked that license up. It actually was renewed and support doesn't expire until June 2022 . Apparently nobody applied the update on your end.

You will need to find some one there with access to the license server machine called JMUDAS6 . They just need to log in to that machine and launch the zemax license manager. It will automatically retrieve the update. 

​​​​​​In the meantime until that's done you could install a release of opticStudio from may 2021 or older and it will work.

Thanks Don,

I found the person with access to the license server and got them to launch the zemax license manager to apply the update. 

It worked after that. 

All the best,

Éamonn