Solved

Missing directories for successful installation, V22.2.1

• 6 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Just installed OpticsStudio and I confirm that the application launches and works. However, I see several dialogs that suggest one or more directories were not built at the time of install.

To be very specific, I am running MacOS 12.3.1 and Parallels virtualized Windows 11 for ARM.

When I open OpticsStudio, the first dialog reads:

"To complete the OpticsStudio installation, data files must be copied to your user data folder."

Once the program launches to the OpticsStudio workspace, I am greeted by individual dialogs. With one message per dialog, they read:

"Cannot find glass catalog SCHOTT in project working directory."

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\GLASCAT\SGRIN.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\GLASSCAT\GLC.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\GLASSCAT\GLC.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\GLASSCAT\GADIENT_9.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\COATINGS\COATING.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\PROFILES\SCATTER_PROFILE.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\ABG_DATA\ABG_DATA.DAT!"

"Can't open File \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax\GLASSCAT\PROFILE.GRD!"

I know my system is unusual. But it seems that I can put the glass and coatings catalog data into my \Zemax directory to get everything working just fine.

Any chance I can find these catalog .DATs somewhere?

icon

Best answer by phillip.curtsmith 6 October 2022, 03:37

View original

2 replies

These files were automatically copied (another dialog appeared) to the correct directories when I opened OpticsStudio the 4th or 5th time. So I’m all set. Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Good day!

Just FYI for anyone reading this thread. Those errors are typically because the shared mac Documents folders that Parallels sets up for you are seen as network shares in the eyes of Windows ( \\Mac\Home\Documents\Zemax for example) and it seems that it may not initially give proper read/ write permissions to applications like Opticstudio. Most likely permissions were applied as time went on and resolved the issue

I’m actually surprised that Opticstudio is working with your ARM CPU. We haven’t had anyone else successfully do so yet!