Solved

why there is rays come from the image

• 29 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi, everyone,

Can you guys help me.

Based on the “How to model a beam splitter in sequential mode”, I try to change the image surface on z-axis to the mirror. Unfortunately, the rays had been emitted from the image surface.

Can anyone help me to discover what is wrong with my model. I have attached the file below. Maybe there is something that I did not realized or maybe I don’t have the right knowledge about it.  I would love to know and learn.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 29 September 2020, 13:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

Thanks for your post here!

Based on your file, the last Coordinate Break in configuration 1 is not set up correctly. You used a 135 deg rotation about X instead of a -45 deg one, and as a consequence the sign of the Thickness value on the Coordinate Break was incorrect either. Regarding the sign convention, after an odd number of mirrors, thicknesses are negative for real propagations and positive for virtual propagations. This sign convention is independent of the number of mirrors, or the presence of Coordinate Breaks. This fundamental convention cannot be circumvented through the use of coordinate rotations of 180 degrees.

Also, in your file, you used the beam splitter cube for both path in configuration 2, while for configuration 1 you only applied a mirror and skipped the cube. Did you set up or your system this way deliberately?

I corrected the Coordinate Break settings and added back the cube for the second path of cofiguration 1, please find my file attached.

For further reference, please check out the following knowledge base articles and forum thread:

How to tilt and decenter a sequential optical component

How to restore coordinate systems using the Coordinate Return

OpticsTalk: Coordinate Breaks - Usage & Applications

If you have further questions, please let us know!

Best,

Csilla

Hi, everyone. Thank you for your response.
However, I applied this solution to my design but didn’t have the same success…
My design has the coordinates inverted in the prism region.
The problem here is that a fraction of the rays reflect off while others pass through the prism.
It's been many days trying to find a solution that provides two points of convergence on the images.
Can someone help me, please?