Solved

Which operand I can use to fix focal length while optimizing lens in non-sequential mode?

• 20 January 2021
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi, I am trying to optimize a lens in NSC. Given by our limitation, I need to keep the focal length while optimizing the thickness, radius and other properties. In sequential mode, EFFL could work. However, I cannot find the corresponding operand in NSC mode. Does anyone know how to do it? Many thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Berta.Bernad 20 January 2021, 11:58

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Xins,

Thanks for your question here! I have looked at this at it seems that there isn't any operand that analogous to EFFL in non-sequential mode. Is there any specific reason why you are trying to optimize this lens in nsq? A workaround could be to optimize it in sequential and then import to non-sequential a lens with the same parameters.

In non-sequential, I think that you can use the Lensmaker Equation to calculate the focal lenght in the Merit Function Editor. You can retrieve the value of the different parameters (Radius, thickness...) with NPVA 

The Optimize Tab (sequential ui mode) > Automatic Optimization Group > Merit Function Editor (automatic optimization group) > Optimization Operands by Category > Constraints on Non-sequential Object Data

And then perform some math operations on them:

The Optimize Tab (sequential ui mode) > Automatic Optimization Group > Merit Function Editor (automatic optimization group) > Optimization Operands by Category > General Math Operands

Once you get the value, you can use OPVA to constrain the value of the operand to be equal to the target value. 

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I think Berta gave a very correct answer. But it may be that an approximate control of focal length would be sufficient. In the diagram below a pair of elements form a lens. A Source Ray launches a single ray parallel the optical axis and through the lens to strike a detector. The merit function targets the y centroid location to be y = 0, meaning on the axis. The detector is therefor targeted to be the image plane for an object at infinity.

Strictly speaking, the focal length is measured from the principle plane. We can see by inspection that that is located somewhere inside the second element. With the detector in a fixed position, and for small variations of the design, where the principle plane does not move much, this part of the merit function provides approximate control of the focal length. (It actually requires the design to be such as to make the detector the image surface for distant objects.)

I say this part of the merit function because I assume other parts of the merit function will employ other sources and perhaps a different detector for controlling the main objectives in the design.