Solved

Where can I find information about High Yield Optimization?

Userlevel 1

It sounds like a cool idea, but where can I find the detailed information? 

icon

Best answer by Nicholas Herringer 2 October 2019, 22:19

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Ken's recorded presentation can be found here: https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/10925/1092502/Optimization-for-as-built-performance/10.1117/12.2508062.short?SSO=1
Badge
Do you have a link to an open-access publication/app note etc...?

Which version of ZEMAX is it included in?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Peter, we don't have the slides from the SPIE presentation publicly available, but we do have an eGuide with similar information. I've attached a copy of this here so you can take a look. Let us know if you have any other questions, and we'll be happy to help!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
When will high yield optimization be included in an OpticStudio release?
Userlevel 1

Hi David, very soon. It'll be included in the upcoming 19.8 release, which will be available in Q4

Badge
Will it be available to everyone who has current support or only those that switch to subscription?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi George, High-Yield Optimization will be available to subscription users as a new capability in OpticStudio 19.8. OS 19.8 is scheduled to be released near the end of October.
Badge

You announced this feature in March.  I paid my yearly support in May expecting to get this feature.  The new subscription model wasn't announced until July.  Zemax has no misgivings about this duplicity?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
We started sharing our excitement about High-Yield Optimization earlier this year, but did not communicate how it would be packaged and sold. I hear your concern and will have a Zemax representative reach out to better understand your situation.
Badge
George,

I generally use the RAID and RAED MF operands (on air-to-glass and glass-to-air surfaces, respectively) to limit AOI.

My approach adds quite a few additional MF operands, which probably slows down optimization, but it works.

I usually don't add these until I have a working design, and usually only if I can see that my design suffers from high AOI.

You have to play around some to balance the assigned maximum angles and the weightings. I generally use angle limits in the range of 15 to 30 degrees. Of course, this AOI limitation also helps maintain effective AR coatings across the full aperture.

Anyway my point is that one can gain the approximate advantage of HYO without migrating to the subscription model, if one so chooses.

It would be interesting to see a performance comparison, similar to the white paper listed above, where the non-HYO case uses RAID and RAED to limit AOI.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Peter,

The merit function operands used in the High Yield wizard construction maximize the efficiency of the ray trace, so that fewer rays are needed to be traced than with other operands added manually for angle of incidence/exitance control. While each case is different, we estimate that the speed of optimizing with the High Yield operands is ~10x faster than RAID and RAED applied on a series of surfaces. Not to mention the time saved from setting up the merit function in the first place thanks to the wizard!