Solved

What would cause the stock lens matching tool to instantly say no suitable lenses?

Userlevel 1

I was trying to use the stock lens matching tool to replace one lens.  I was trying to use stock lens matching tool, but it would right away say that no suitable lenses were found.  My theory is just that it won’t work if the lenses are too close, because the lens was about 1mm away from another, and I moved to 2mm away, still didn’t work, then 5mm away and the lens matching tool suddenly worked.  I’m just curious if I’m right and why.

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 1 July 2022, 14:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Monte,

In my modest experience, the issue often stems from the diameter of your lenses. If you’ve design your lenses with floating apertures (as is often the case early on in the design phase). Then, your lenses will have a diameter that is just enough for your rays to pass through. Now, if you increase the separation between lenses and the rays diverge, I suspect the lens will get bigger to accomodate the rays, and OpticStudio will find a suitable stock lens. In the Stock Lens Matching Tool, you can vary the EPD (or Entrance Pupil Diameter) Tolerance, which is indicative of the lens diameter. Most stock lenses have a diameter of 1 inch or  around 25 mm. Could you tell us the diameter of your lenses? What happens if you play with the EPD Tolerance?

Hope this helps.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Yes, I increased the EPD tolerance, seemed to work great.  Thank you!