Solved

Vignetting vs Object height

• 9 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

For a radially symmetric optical system how can I estimate the vignetting as a function of object height? That is, how much energy is transmitted through the system vs object height?

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 9 October 2023, 14:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Meanwhile I seem to have found a vignetting diagram, which seems to calculate what I inteded.

It can be found in Analyse → Rays and Spots → Vignetting diagram.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jonasz,

I can also suggest Analyze..Extended Scene Analysis..Relative Illumination, which doesn’t directly work with Object Height I believe. But depending on your system, you might still manage to set it up in a way that you can study the relative illumination as a function of Object Height. One thing to try is the Convert To feature of the Field Data Editor (you convert your object height into angle, and then run the analysis).

Here’s the result with the Double Gauss sample file (which is using an angular field definition already):

Hope this helps.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The better utility is Polarization/Transmission.  Zemax management still refuses to include system transmission into Relative Illumination.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Mike.Jones,

Does it?

@David.Nguyen , I don’t see any problem using object height as the field definition...can you elaborate?

• Mark
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Mark.Nicholson,

Apologies, I misphrased my response (sorry I’m too late to edit my response actually). What I meant is that in the Help File, the description of Relative Illumination (RI) says the analysis gives the RI against the field angle, and I didn’t try with object height, so I assumed wrongly that it might not work (I didn’t have time to test).

Thanks for correcting me.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 2

Thank you for all the replies. The relative illumination tool is fitting to my task.

Kind regards