Using the output of one model as a source for another

• 16 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
Is it possible to use the output of one OpticStudio (non0sequential) as a source for another?  I have a model with many Source Diodes and would like to use that as the source to another model(s).  That way if I make a change to the original Source Diode model it would be updated in any model that uses it as a source.  Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yes and no. Yes, you can use one non-sequential file's output (System 1) as the source input for another file (System 2). However, these files are not dynamically linked, so updating the source diode objects in System 1 wouldn't have any automated effect on System 2. It would require you to re-save the output from System 1 and re-load it in System 2.

To do this, you would follow the instructions "Saving ray data to a file" (use SDF, not DAT) found in the product Help documentation:

You'd check "Save Rays" in the Ray Trace Control, and save all the rays incident on any object in the system using the format "1-filename.SDF" where 1 is the example object number on which you're saving incident rays. You can then use this SDF as a source file in another system.

I don't know if it's relevant to your situation, but you could consider using an array of source diodes if that helps simplify your operations. Using an array is also more efficient than using the same number of source diodes.
Badge +2

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I tried to use an array of source diodes unfortunately the parameters of each source is a little different and therefore I couldn't use the array function.

Thanks for the help

Badge +1
I need to do the same thing but in sequential mode. Is there any way to save all out put coordination of points on image plane from the first system in zpl file and upload them as original field points for the second system in multi-conf editor? or is there any other way to do this ? Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I don’t know of a way to do that. But if what you want to do is to optimize at an intermediate surface as well as the final image plane, the IMSF operand can be used in the merit function. For more information lookup “How to optimize at intermediate surfaces” in the Zemax Knowledge Base.

Kind regards,

David