Use collimator lens in POP

• 23 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone, I need your kindness help for some problems that I had. I made a system that use collimator lens by using POP (I had attached my file below).

I had one problem which is I use the collimator lens (Thorlabs F220APC-633) from the catalog lens and I want to observe the beam width after the collimator lens (surface 4 in my system). I use the merit function editor (POPD- 23,24) to observe my beam width data.  The actual data that I get from Thorlabs stated that the output laser with beam diameter of 2.06 mm will emit after through the collimator lens. But, in my system, the beam width did not have same value as the actual data.

In my system, I set the POP with the waist of 0.5 mm and I believe that after the beam go through the collimator lens, the beam width will diverge to 1.03 mm (same as actual data).

Is there any suggestion on how to do it, or maybe I don’t understand enough about it.

If anyone can help me in order to solve the problems, I really appreciate for your kindness.

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello

Thank you for reaching us on the forum. Could you please send an archive of your file so we can have your POP settings?

File...Save as...zar.

Sandrine

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Are you using a multimode fiber with this collimator? Your initial waist size is very large. If you look at the specifications for the collimator mentioned, the 2.06mm beam diameter is achieved when using single mode fiber, SM600, which has a mode field diameter (initial waist) between 3.6 - 5.3 microns.

Thank you, Ms. Sandrine and Mr. Sean, for the reply. As for the file of Zemax, I will attached new file below.

Thanks again Mr. Sean for the reply and I will look forward for this matter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If the beam starts at the object, then you should tell the distance from Surface 1 to the object.

See below. Once this is done, press on Save so that the right settings for POP are used when evaluating the merit function.

Let us know if this helps.

I also noticed that you have opened another forum post. You might need to update the file in there too.

Sandrine

Thank you Ms.Sandrine for this info. It help my system to be more better. I also had update my another file based on this info. If i have another problems, i will share it here.