Solved

Tutorial/Webinar or any kind of literature of setting up parametric optimization in OpticStudio with OptiSlang

• 30 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello Everyone,

Is there any literature or tutorial on how to set up a parameter optimization in OpticStudio with OptiSlang?

When I search on the internet, I find a pdf but clicking on it redirects to the ANSYS intoduction website.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

What I am trying to do is run FEM simulations to evaluate structural changes in an objective and then I would try to replicate that movement in the lens by a parametric study through OptiSlang to evaluate the impact of lens movements on optical performance in OpticStudio.

Best regards,

Amit

icon

Best answer by Allie 30 September 2022, 18:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Amit!

The Ansys Learning Hub (ALH) has a tutorial on connecting OpticStudio to optiSLang. It’s a self-paced tutorial which I think might be a good starting point for you. If you like, I can start an email chain between you and your account manager to see about getting you access.

By the way - what software are you using to perform your FEM simulation? I believe some of my colleagues are working on a similar workflow. They are connecting Ansys Mechanical to OpticStudio’s STAR module via optiSLang in order to perform a STOP analysis similar to the one described here: A Glimpse into Deep Space with Extreme Optical Engineering (ansys.com). If you’re using Mechanical or STAR, they may be a good point of contact for you. 

Hello Allie,

thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, I am not a subscriber of the ALH.

As a research institute we use ANSYS workbench and since OptiSlang is now a part of ANSYS we were using it together for optimization.

Coincidentally I was a part of the STAR module’s first test and I found it fascinating but the licensing prices were too high for us and we gave up on it.

Best regards,

Amit

Badge +4

Hi @Allie & Amit!

I was intrigued by this discussion and decided to run through the tutorial Allie pointed to but I had issues choosing the Zemax OpticStudio file in the Solver Wizard of OptiSLang. My coworker supports OptiSLang and so I asked him for help but he was unable to find the cause of the error. 

I can open the Zemax OpticStudio file within OpticStudio without a problem. We looked in the supported integration files of OptiSLang and saw that OpticStudio is supported up to 20.3 Would this be the reason for the error I am seeing on my end? 

I understand this very well may be an issue on the OptiSLang end but I wanted to post this here in case others run into this problem while attempting the tutorial. 

-Cynthia

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @cynthiapadt !

Sorry for the late reply. I have checked with one of my colleagues (as I am not yet an optiSlang user) and my colleague confirmed using optiSLang 22R1 with OS22.2 without any problem.

Which version of OS and optiSLang are you using? Will you be able to share an image/description of the error message you are seeing? Thank you.