Solved

Total internal reflection in sequential mode

• 6 October 2021
  • 2 replies

I want to simulate a system, which contains a single mode fiber, and a none core fiber. At the end face of the none core fiber, the surface is polished to certain angle or titled (for example 47degree), so that the total internal reflection is expected to happen. The light beam will emit from the side face of the none core fiber. What should I do to make TIR happen? Is it possible to do it in ZEMAX sequential mode? Because I want to perform imaging analysis, such as aberration, sequential mode is needed.

Thank you.

Oliver

icon

Best answer by Alissa Wilczynski 6 October 2021, 20:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Oliver, 

Yes, you can model light undergoing TIR in sequential mode. Basically, you just need to input every surface that light will hit into your lens data editor. This means that if light is going to TIR off the front face and then escape a side face, you’ll need to model the front face then use coordinate breaks and negative thicknesses (thicknesses need to change sign after each reflection) to position the side face that light will emerge from.

It’s not the same use case, but a similar concept is used in this article: Designing a head-mounted display (HMD) for augmented reality systems in OpticStudio – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

-Alissa

Hi Oliver, 

Yes, you can model light undergoing TIR in sequential mode. Basically, you just need to input every surface that light will hit into your lens data editor. This means that if light is going to TIR off the front face and then escape a side face, you’ll need to model the front face then use coordinate breaks and negative thicknesses (thicknesses need to change sign after each reflection) to position the side face that light will emerge from.

It’s not the same use case, but a similar concept is used in this article: Designing a head-mounted display (HMD) for augmented reality systems in OpticStudio – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

-Alissa

Thank you Alissa, it helps a lot.