Solved

Torodial Surface as a detector

• 9 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a detector that is orientated around an round mirror. For the detector I'm using a torodial surface in non-sequential mode. In the object properties I declare the toroidal surface as 'Object is a detector' but the detector viewer says 'no detector found'. Does anyone have an idea why that is? thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 9 December 2020, 16:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Max,

Would you be able to share an archive of a simple example of the problem you are having?

I'm not sure about the particular error you have, but what happens when you browse the Text tab of the Detector Viewer (bottom left of the window)? Because when you use Objects as Detectors the Graph tab isn't used for representation.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Look in the Text tab of the detector viewer to see the detector data. It's not shown in the graphs tab. You can see the data graphically in the Shaded Layout however.

- Mark

Hi Mark, hi David,

thanks for your help. The hint with the text tab was helping, thank you. However, I'd like to have a graph of the detected power at different angles. I attached a the files for an example of the problem that I'm having. The idea is to have an detector around a mirror to calculate at what angle how much power of the incident beam is reflected.

Best regards

Max

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Max,

When you want to share a design file. It is better to press File...Create Archive from OpticStudio to generate a *.ZAR. This archive format make your design file self-contained, and can be shared more easily between users.

Have you tried using a Detector Polar object to solve your problem? If this doesn't work, could you elaborate why?

If you really want to keep the Toroidal Surface, one thing I would suggest is save your raytrace with a filter string, perhaps H3, since your Toroidal Surface is number 3. Then, use a third-party programming langage, like Python, and retrieve the raydatabase information to compute the power at each angle. When using the ray database with H3 ('Hit 3'), you only save rays that make it to the toroidal surface. For each ray, you have its intercept coordinates with the surface, and the normal to the surface, as well as the intensity of the ray. Thus, you know everything you need, that is angle, and power.

Does that make sense?

Kind regards,

David