Question

TOLR not working correctly with TEZI on polynomial surface

• 17 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I am facing a problem when using the TOLR operand in combination with a TEZI tolerance applied on an Extended Polynomial surface. When running the sensitivity tolerance analysis, the nominal merit function and estimated RSS change is calculated properly. However, when using the TOLR operand in the MFE, only the nominal value is correctly returned, while the estimated RSS change is completely wrong. Please find a screenshot below:

When using different tolerances (TTHI, ...) , or when using the TEZI tolerance on a different (standard) surface, everything is working properly with the tolerance viewer and TOLR operand returning the same values. I thus assume it maybe has something to do with the composite surface that is being generated when using TEZI in combination with the Extended Polynomial surface?

I would appreciate any input on this topic, as I would love to optimize my polynomial surface taking its sensitivity to tolerances into account.

Thanks,

Indy

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Indy.Magnus 

Have you had a look at those?

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005577022-How-to-use-TEZI-to-tolerance-for-manufacturing-related-surface-sag-error

Take care,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I checked the documentation above, and tried with one of the example files as well. In these cases everything seems to work properly, but when applying it on my specific case - with an Extended Polynomial surface - it is not working as expected…

I have attached a small Zemax example file: here we can see that the tolerance analysis (using the loaded TOLR004.TOP) returns an estimated change of 0.00043146, while the TOLR operand (Data = 0, File = 4) returns a value of 2.247…

Best,

Indy