Solved

Tolerancing of achromatic doublet results in 2 element front surface moving in front of first element back surface

• 31 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello Zemax Community!

I have been looking at the tolerancing for an achromatic doublet design, and had a question regarding the positioning of the elements post-tolerancing. In some cases, the front surface of the 2nd element of the lens will move in front of the back surface of the second element of the lens. Is there a way to control thicknesses such that the doublet surfaces are physically in sequence? 

The first image below highlights the position of the back surface of the first lens element, and the second image highlights the position of the front surface of the second lens element.

Additionally, before tolerancing the lens was modelled with 4 surfaces:

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Musab

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 31 October 2023, 18:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’d use a position solve to force the first surface of the second element to be zero thickness from the rear surface of the first element. Or just set it to zero and do not put a tolerance on it: it’s a boundary constraint, not a tolerance.

• Mark
Badge

Thank you for the answer Mark! It did escape my mind that I should remove thickness tolerances on the surface as it is just there so that the radii of the elements before cementing can be toleranced.

Musab