Solved

Tilting mirrors in Zemax

• 13 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello

I am trying to model a scanning mirror actually as in the link below:

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005576502-How-to-model-a-scanning-mirror

However, I found that when I try to tilt the mirror around y in my case the focus shifts in both x and y directions. The mirror was originally tilted around x by 45 degrees. I then wanted to tilt it around y and that is where I got stuck. In the file you will find 3 configurations for different tilts around y (-5,0,5 degrees).  I suspect I am doing something wrong with the coordinate breaks but I have no clue how to solve it. Please advise!

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 14 May 2023, 02:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

For some reason I’m not able to download your attachment.  However, you may not be doing anything wrong.  In your geometry, there should be some coupling between the x & y focused spot coordinates.  If x-tilt is set to 45 degrees, and you scan using y-tilt, then the focus spot traces out a mild arc. 

Here’s a simple example:

For y-tilts, the spot motion is predominantly in the x-direction, but there is a small parabolic y-component:

Regards,

Jeff

What can I do to prevent such  behaviour? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Scan the spot linearly by varying x-tilt (say over 45 +/- 5 deg.) instead of y-tilt.  For 2D scanning, cascade a second mirror orthogonal to the first.  See, for example, systems sold by Thorlabs:  Dual-Axis Scanning Galvo Systems

I see. Thanks a lot!