TCMU in Monte Carlo analyses

• 26 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve noticed that if I have a prescription with all coatings on all surfaces with the “Use Layer Multiplier And Offsets” box checked and then execute a Monte Carlo (MC) analysis--in this case just on all coating layer thicknesses via TCMU--all the aforementioned boxed on all surfaces are unchecked and, in order to perform a transmission analysis, I have to check on the boxes again (in the MC files).  This is rather cumbersome.  Is there a way--via a macro command--to turn on layer multipliers?  Or can future OS versions leave whatever’s “checked” in a “checked” state when the MC files get created?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

To try and replicate your problem, I used the Cooke Triplet example file and changed the AR coating on surface 1 to a HEAR1 coating with three layers.  The “Use Layer Multiplier and Offsets” option was checked for this coating, and I added TCMU tolerance operands for the 3 layers.  Then I ran a MC analysis and saved a few files.  They all retained the coating multiplier/offsets check option.

So, I wasn’t able to replicate your problem, at least with one multi-layer coating on a single surface.  I’m using OS v23.1.

Regards,

Jeff

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, Jeff.  I’m using 23.1.02. 

I used the “Cooke 40 degree field.zos” file from the Samples/Sequential directory.  The prescription has a single-layer AR coating (“AR”) applied to each surface.  I turned on the “Use Layer Multiplier and Offsets” for each surface and ran a Monte Carlo with TCMU -0.03 0.03 as the range on each surface.  When I opened the Monte Carlo result, “Use Layer Multiplier and Offsets” was turned off.  Furthermore, I saved the sample file as “Cooke 40 degree field_TCMU.zos” with “Use Layer Multiplier and Offsets” turned on for all coated surfaces.  When I opened the file, however, everything was turned off on every surface.  

Hmm.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi James,

If you use the “Cooke 40 degree field.zmx” file, everything works fine.

You have fallen into the binary ZOS trap.  Even though the “new” file format is over 2 years old, there are still a lot of bugs in how it was implemented (and absolutely zero benefit as of now).  In 2022, OpticStudio gave the option of choosing ZMX as the default format.  I would ALWAYS save files as ZMX and avoid ZOS at all costs until a) it is more fully debugged and b) provides actual useful features.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apparently I’ve fallen into the Sarlacc pit again!  I’ll give a .zmx version a go.  Thanks for the response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, I saved the file as .zos and re-ran the MC analysis, and sure enough the problem arises.  As a general practice I don’t use the .zos format. 

Jeff

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It would be great if Team Ansys-Zemax could just remove this ‘feature’, it does nothing but get in the way of the work you’re trying to do 👿