Solved

Surface by cloud points

• 26 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

in order to verify a system, I would like to create a freeform surface from a cloud of (parametric) points in order to subsequently apply a merit function and obtain an optimization.

Is it possible?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by David 27 April 2022, 05:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Luca,

OpticStudio provides a number of freeform surfaces. One of these is a Grid Sag Surface. There is an article on it here.

In the article you will see that a data file is used to define the surface sag. It requires z values on a regular xy grid. A tool such as Mathematica, Matlab, or Python could be used to create a file of the required format, reinterpolating the data if necessary. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Luca,

I was going through a few posts from April and came across this one. In addition to David’s suggestion, I wanted to let you know that the TrueFreeForm surface may perform the steps you’re after. You can read more about it here: Using the TrueFreeForm surface​ for grid based freeform optimization – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

Note: This surface type is only available to Premium subscription license-holders. If you want to give it a try, email sales@zemax.com and they may be able to set you up with a temporary trial.