Solved

Stop which has thickness

• 15 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I want to model a physical stop (meaning, an additional stop which is not one of the lens surfaces), and this stop should have thickness, as physical stops do. How do I model such an element, which has thickness and blocks the light? Clearly, specifying the thickness of the stop surface in the regular manner would just mean the distance to the next lens surface, which is not my intention. Also, in the case of a stop with thickness, which of its two surfaces is defined as the stop surface, or maybe some intermediate plane between them?

I’d be happy to hear any insights you have about dealing with the stop physical thickness.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by David 15 July 2022, 21:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

One way to do this in sequential mode is to use two Standard Surfaces, each with an aperture defined. If the material of the first is air, then the unobscured central region is air. Below the first surface is the stop to fill that aperture. I attach a zip with a zar file.

Thank you David for your answer. Is 0.2 mm a typical thickness for a stop?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I don’t think there is a typical thickness. It depends on the mechanical design. Unless the thickness constrains the lens design it is not necessary to model the thickness in sequential mode, and this is generally the case.