Square Lens export to CAD

• 7 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have a OTS lens that the supplier does not provide a Zemax file for it.  The lens has a middle section that is square with aspheric surfaces with circular apertures on either face.  I can make the lens from 4 surfaces in Zemax, 2 even aspheres and 2 planar for the middle section.  It looks fine and 3D Layout and shaded model. If I make the 2 planar surfaces with circular apertures, the lens exports to CAD fine.  However, when I leave those surfaces as rectangular apertures, the exported STEP file has overlapping solid bodies that even covers one of the aspheres.  The only way, so far, I have been to export it is too export and uncheck the Surfaces as Solids. Then in the CAD I can create an extruded body between the two rectangular faces.  This is sorta OK.  I run into trouble again if I want to add protective chamfers or fillets to the square edges.  I can create these on the solid body I made in the CAD.  However the original rectangular faces seem impervious to any editing in CAD, leaving little square corners on each face even though the solid between has the rounded edges.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

[Mod note: moved to more appropriate forum for OS-related discussions.] 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Really hard to say what’s happening without seeing the file. Can you post it here?