Solved

Simulating photobiological risk groups according to IEC 62471

Is there already experience or webinars for simulating photobiological risk groups according to IEC 62471 using Optic Studio? 

Is it valid to use the simulations to judge the photobiological risk group of a lamp?

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 9 June 2022, 10:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Dominik,

I haven’t come across such content in OpticStudio or on the community platform. I don’t know IEC 62471, but if it is about measuring parameters like the light intensity. Then, assuming you can produce a good enough model of your lamp, OpticStudio is definitely the right tool to simulate those measurements. That should probably be enough to “judge” the photobiological risk group, but as always it would be good to confirm with a real experiment.

Perhaps this can be useful as an introductory article on light sources in OpticStudio.

Take care,

David

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply! 

Basically in the IEC 62471 there is a certain defined setup of light source and detector and then you need to get the irradiance or radiance weighted with some action spectrum. 

I tried simulating the irradiance with a simple irradiance simulation and compared to actual measurements from an external source, but the values do vastly disagree. This is why I would like to know if there is maybe some existing knowledge about simulating photobiological safety and if there are some tricks or other things to consider.

Best regards,

Dominik  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Dominik,

Thank you for the additional details. Is there any chance you can share your model with us? Perhaps people from the community can look at it and comment on whether it can be improved to resolve the discrepancies with your measurements?

Take care,

David