Solved

Simulate the diffraction efficiency of holographic optical element as coupler for AR waveguide

• 24 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I have a question about simulating the diffraction efficiency of holographic in-coupler for AR waveguide. I would like to mimic what Bernard Kress had did for the figure 19 (also attached below) in his paper ‘Waveguide combiners for mixed reality headsets: a nanophotonics design perspective’. He said the relfection HOE coupler with mean index 1.53, index modulation 0.03, thickness 16um, wavelength 550nm, and the construction angle 0 deg and 50 deg is able to achieve up to 17 deg (FWHM) angular bandwidth. However, when I try to reproduce this result in Zemax, I found it is only about 5 deg. 

I also attached the Zemax file below. I would appreciate if anyone could help me to vefiry this discrepancy. Thank you!

Best,

Kaden

icon

Best answer by ztystar 12 October 2022, 19:07

View original

1 reply

Already solved! They use rolling K vector to record hologram, such method makes the hologram has spatial variation in terms of the index modulation, but Zemax does not have this simulation capability.