Solved

Set surface for genc Merit function

• 5 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Is there a way to set the surface number for a genc/genf Merit function, as i would like to work it on an intermediate surface? Thanks
Markus

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 5 January 2022, 19:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes. Use IMSF (image surface) prior to your GENC operands to define what the image surface is. It’s a really useful operand, and you can use it multiple times so you can define multiple image surfaces.

• Mark
Userlevel 2

Mark, great! I will try this.

Many thanks
Markus

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Mark,

Here’s a related question.  In some cases, hitting the SAVE button on a group of analysis settings forces a corresponding merit function operand to use those settings (unless explicitly overridden by one or more of the operand input values) -- a common example is IMAE.  However, this doesn’t seem to be the case for GENC & GENF. 

So, is there any way to control parameter settings that are not part of the operand input? For example, “Use Polarization” and “Scatter Rays” ?

Thx,

Jeff

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m afraid that kind of data handling is added on an operand-by-operand basis. You’ll need to put a feature request in to have that kind of control (via the CFG data) for any specific operand that doesn’t already support it.

• Mark
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s what I thought.  Would be nice to have more uniformity across operands in this regard.  I can toss this suggestion into the hopper, but I’m not holding my breath for a change anytime soon... 

However, on the plus side, all of the analysis options are available for control through the ZOS-API. So, if a user really wanted maximum flexibility, it looks like a UDOC operand could be implemented with a custom C++ compiled client program. Certainly doable :thinking: , but not as easy as hitting a SAVE button.