Searching the Design Templates

• 21 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It's great that you have included the Design Templates in OpticStudio. I have a copy of Zebase from about 2005 which has some of the same information. The new included version is better.

But there is one aspect of Zebase that I miss. The book that came with it included a table of contents. This table was organized by design type. If I was looking for a microscope objective I could go the that section of the table and quickly scan through the titles, which generally gave magnification or NA, and find a design close to what I needed. Other sections included 'Double Gauss Lenses' , 'Petzval Lenses', 'Telephotos', etc. This was so useful that I scanned the table of contents to a PDF and put it in the Zebase directory.

I don't find the search criteria in the current Design Templates very useful. I would ike to see design types added as a criteria, so we can quickly locate a list of designs of a particuar type. 

Kind regards,

David

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi David,

Thanks for your comment here! It's a pleasure to hear your positive feedback on the Design Templates.

With the latest 20.3 release we have improved the search criteria to include or exclude any system which contains a mirror. Additionally, Author and Notes are new searchable criteria too.

However, I agree that a type based organization and search criteria would be a further improvement. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have gone ahead and submitted this internally as a feature request on your behalf.

Please keep in mind that feature requests are weighed based on impact, difficulty to implement, and the number of users who request it. A request is not a guarantee that the feature will be added to a future release. Nevetheless, these feature requests are very important to us and shape the future of OpticStudio, so we appreciate your input regarding desired functionality.

Thanks,

Csilla