Solved

RMS Mirror irregularity

• 26 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I wish to establish a manufacturing RMS irregularity for a set of mirrors that compose a three mirror telescope. The goal is to achieve the allowable MTF budget reserved for fabrication. In order to do this, I have tolerated the system using the TEZI operand for each mirror surface and balanced the tolerances such that it fulfill the requirement. Although, there are some doubt remaining, and I would be glad if someone could assist me with the answers:

1-Is this approach adequate for my purpose?

2-Does the RMS values set on TEZI operand the 'real' values to be achieved? I wonder if is there any multiplication factor related with the interferometic test?

3-The frequency range of the irregularity depends on the interval of the Zernike coefficients set. What would be the appropriated value for that interval? Does it depend on the manufacturing processes of the mirrors?

I thank any assistance in advance.

icon

Best answer by Alberto.Donazzan 28 May 2021, 14:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2

I don't have the expertise to directly answer to your questions, but maybe any of the followings can give you further insight:

I hope this could help, at least until someone more expert comes in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

Thanks for your posts here on the forums!

For TEZI, the max tolerance value is the exact RMS error of the surface in lens units. The min tolerance value is automatically set to the negative of the max value; this is done to yield both positive and negative coefficients for the Zernike terms. The resulting RMS is always a positive number whose magnitude is equal to the max tolerance value.

You may find more details about the TEZI tolerance operand in the Help system at:

The Tolerance Tab > Tolerancing Group > Tolerance Data Editor > Tolerance Operands > TEZI: Tolerance on Surface Irregularity Using the Standard Zernike Model

Besides, you can find further references here in MyZemax:

Regarding the spatial frequency selection, you may find more details about it in this knowledegbase article:
https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005490441-Constructing-mid-spatial-frequency-tooling-errors-for-evaluation-and-tolerancing

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best,

Csilla

Alberto and Csilla,

the references you both provided are pertinent indeed. I appreciate very much your support.