Solved

Reshape lens after design

Hi everybody,

i optimized an aspherical lens with circular aperture (radial symmetric). Now i wand to cut both sides of the lens and reshape it. I used the rectangular aperture(Lens data → Aperture → Aper Type) shape, but then the shape in shorter axis was changed.
Is there any way to reshape the lens after design?

Regards,
Ata

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 25 May 2022, 22:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Ata,

I’m not entirely sure of what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve, but another way could be to export the lens as a CAD and intersect it with a rectangular volume in non-sequential mode, if that makes sense.

Otherwise, I would suggest to upload an example that demonstrates the issue, it’ll be easier for troubleshooting.

Take care,

David

Hey David,

thank you for your answer. I did almost the same. I defined my lens in nonseq and trimmed it with boolean function. But i thought it should be a simpler way to change the shape of designed lens in seq. mode.

Regards,
Ata

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey Ata,

I’m pretty sure it works in sequential mode as well, but its difficult to say what went wrong without seeing your file.

Glad you found a solution yourself though.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Ata,

Yes, in non-sequential mode the Boolean operations make applying an aperture fairly straightforward.

In sequential mode you can apply a user-defined aperture (UDA) to trim a lens.  If you use a rectangular or other standard shape aperture, then it’s best if the aperture is fully contained within the clear semi-diameter of the circular lens. Otherwise, OpticStudio will extrapolate the surface out beyond the original clear aperture.  This detail is noted in the help documentation:

For example, if we start with a circular lens, and a rectangular aperture is applied such that a portion of the aperture area lies outside of the lens clear aperture, then OpticStudio converts the lens to one with a pure rectangular cross section (with corners being outside of the original clear aperture):

However, a user-defined aperture can provide a more custom solution.  For example, it is possible to cut the lens down on just two sides without changing the circular nature of the lens in the orthogonal direction:

Here’s the UDA syntax for the aperture shown above:

It was then scaled to match the circular lens size:

Note this user defined aperture is applied to both sides of the circular lens.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for your support. It was exactly what i meant. 😊

Regards,
Ata

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Great, thanks Ata, glad to help.