Skip to main content
Question

Rectangular Aperture (hole) in Mirror

• 26 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I am looking to make a mirror with a rectangular hole in it, similar to the one above that I’ve made in SolidWorks. I think there’s a way to do this with Boolean operations but I’m not too familiar with non-sequential mode and haven’t found a good tutorial. Thanks in advance for the help.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

In nonsequential mode there is a rule for overlapping objects. The object that occurs last in the nonsequential components editor defines the overlapping space. So one way to define the mirror with the hole is to define the mirror without the hole first, made of a material other than air, such as MIRROR, and then define a rectangular volume that penetrates the mirror, and make the material blank, meaning air. 

You can also do this with Boolean operations as described  here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

in addition to what @David said, you may want to read about the difference between using the “nesting rule” (object that occurs last defines the overlapping space) and a Boolean object in this article:

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005487401-Improving-non-sequential-ray-tracing-speeds-with-nested-and-Boolean-objects

Take care,

David