Solved

Rays don't go through two surfaces

• 6 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone! First of all, I want to warn you that english is my second language and I am new to zemax. So, I am sorry just in case :)

I have a task to model a bifocal contact lense which can focus light on infinity and on 20mm distance.

Also I have a zemax model of the eye (found in the internet). So, I have to “wear” this contact lense on an “eye” and to model what eye would see, if a real human used this contact lense.

Contact lense looks like: 

I decided to model a contact lense by splitting it into two surfaces: “contact lense” and “microlense”.My problem is that rays go through the microlense only. (only in the center they actually “go inside the eye”). However, I want all rays to go through all surfaces, not only rays in the middle: 

I would be very happy if you explained me this in details since zemax is something I am using for the first time :)

icon

Best answer by David 6 November 2021, 19:22

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Leonidleites,

The reason this is happening is because of the way sequential ray tracing works. In sequential mode, the lens data editor describes the order in which each ray must strike surfaces. Each and every ray must strike each surface in the order in which it appears in the editor. A ray that fails to do so is terminated. Because your microlens is listed first, each ray must strike it first. The rays that you intended to strike the cornea first are terminated because they missed the microlens. (See Exploring Sequential Mode in OpticStudio.)

There are several ways you might implement this geometry:

1. You could model the combined microlens/cornea surface as a grid sag surface. This would allow all rays to strike that surface. (See How to use the Grid Sag surface type.)
  2. You could perform the analysis in non-sequential mode, which has no order requirement. However, that mode is less capable of image quality optimization. (See Exploring Non-Sequential Mode in OpticStudio.)
  3. You could perform the analysis in mixed mode,  This would allow you to define the geometry within a non-sequential surface, but still have the analysis and optimization capabilities of sequential mode. (See How to model a mixed sequential/non-sequential system.)

I consider all of these methods to be advanced topics. Since you say you are a first time user, I suggest you first explore OpticStudio with a simpler sequential design, and then move on to this work.