Rays avoiding an object to speed up raytrace and reduce rays needed

• 25 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Hey all,

A model I am working with is composed of a source ellipse, a 500mm lens tube and an aspheric lens used to focus rays from the source ellipse onto a detector. All of this is using the non-sequential mode. I am finding that when I set a ray amount (1e7)  the raytrace takes some time and very few of the rays are actually making it to my focal plane, and the resulting image drawn is very sparse with not nearly the amount of data that I am looking for.

My question is: 

Because the object is 500mm away from my input aperture (the aspheric lens), is it possible to tell Zemax to perform a raytrace but only draw rays that eventually land on the focal plane? A lot of the rays it's emitting from the source are being "wasted" by only emitting into free-space or the lens tube which I don't are about, and it slows the ray traces down. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Use Source Two Angle and set the divergence angle so that the rays just extend over the edge of the lens.  The illumination over the back surface of the lens will be uniform but I expect that will be close enough to the illumination that the Source Ellipse is giving you at a range of 500mm.

Andrew
Userlevel 1
I believe you can use filter strings to tell Zemax to only trace rays that hit a specific surface or follow a specific route. 
Thanks Andrew Dennington, the source two angle worked great, change the "spatial shape" to a "1" if you want a circle instead of a square.

I did not try filter strings however so I can't attest to that, but thank you for your input:)