Solved

Ray splitting in NSC model when there shouldn't be

Userlevel 1
Badge

What gives?  Anyone else see similar effects lately?

rayssplitswhentheyshouldnotsplit.png
icon

Best answer by Sahil 11 May 2021, 15:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Maybe they are TIRs and they don't count as ray splitting?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello James ,

Thanks for posting in zemax forum.

Yeah these could be TIR rays . In non sequential TIR rays are not terminated by OpticStudio .In ray database viewer in Trace rays section of main ribbon ,we can actually see the traced rays undergone which optical phenomena  at the end of each surface. 

Here ,Screenshot of ray database viewer shows ray 1 transmitted to each segment.

In case if this is not the case ,it would really easy for us to assist with more accuracy , if we have the file .

Thanks 

Sahil Rajan  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes, I don't see anything wrong indeed.

-The ray color represents the ''segments''. If you check the ZRD, it will probably show you that no splitting is happening.

-And you see 200 rays in the layout because you are visualizing the ZRD file, and not the layout rays (as defined in the NSCE)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.  Yes, understood on the visualization of the ZRD file.  So, is there a filter string that I could employ to prevent TIR rays from being shown?  Nothing 'easy' jumps out.  I tried filtering with '!R0' but the rays still showed up.

I reduced the number of rays to 11 and retraced.  It appears that one of them enters Object 9, Face 1 but  then reflects off of Object 9, Face 2 and begins to traverse its way back through the system.  See attached image.  Not that the objects are in sequential order (left to right) and are just optical elements in a straight series.

It does appear that I can use an 'X_HITFACE 2(9,1,1)' to suppress the TIR rays in question that would pass back through that object face.  That coupled with similar filters on following optics allows me to clean up the graphic.  

tirexample.jpg