Solved

Ray data (Zemax to SPEOS)

Dear Community,

My problem is the following, I am using SPEOS to model LiDAR light profile when trasnverse throgh a piece simple glass and reach the object and bounce back and the light to be collected by receiver in LiDAR 

How can I import light field as an input to SPEOS from Zemax, I do not want create optical system myself in Zemax to have a light field which will be input to my SPEOS model, I heard there is interportability between SPEOS & Zemax. 
Can any one throw light and help

sridhar

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 1 July 2022, 12:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Sridhar

Source files can be converted from Zemax OpticStudio to SPEOS using macros: https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/4416068530579-SPEOS-and-Zemax-Source-file-converter

The lastest version of OpticStudio also contains a converter:

Let us know if that helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Sridhar,

Just to add to Sandrine’s post, are you specifically using the LiDAR sensor for SPEOS?: ANSYS SPEOS: LiDAR Distortion through a Lens - YouTube

If I understand correctly, that plug-in imports sources as .IES or .LDT files. So it requires a far-field distribution file of the IESNA or EULUMDAT standard. If you have a non-sequential model in OpticStudio that you’d like to generate an .IES file for, we support that with the Detector Polar object. You can find more information here: How to use the polar detector and IESNA/EULUMDAT source data – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

Once you have your source output saved in the .IES or .LDT format, you can plug that in to SPEOS LiDAR for further analysis, such as adding a cover window.

Let us know if you have further questions here -- if you do have more questions, perhaps some screenshots of what you have now and diagrams of what you’d like to have would be beneficial also. Thanks, and I hope you have a great rest of your day ahead!

Dear Angel Morales & Sandrine Auriol
Many thanks for your reply. I want to model LiDAR performance in an integrated environment within the car e.g. like wind shield of the car. 
For this reason I want to create or model a source LASER as emitter, if an inbuilt LiDAR from SPEOS is used then also a source model or a ray file is necessary. 
It is my dream that our project partner, who owns the source can share a ray file, most of the cases it is not a straight forward case, hence I started creating a source in SPEOS,   I do have options to create such a source from SPEOS.

It is a bit tricky to create the source profile as close or identical to the source which is used in LiDAR. My goal here is to create a VCSEL source with a defined divergence of 5 degree for example to consider. Is it an option to create such a source file in Zemax and export to SPEOS as a ray file? 
LiDAR source contains many of the VCSEL’s with the properties mentioned above (mainly divergence), is it possible to create a source file in Zemax with these properties ? and then import to SPEOS. 
I will send you some screen shots or a sketch on top of this message.
Regards 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Sridhar,

Yes it would be good if you could send us a sketch. I guess in the good candidates to model your sources, there are the Source Two Angle, the Source diode and we have also have a Source DLL that can model a TE mode. You could then create an array.

Let us know what you were thinking.