Solved

Radius of curvature in lens data editor not automatically thermally picked up

• 1 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Dear community,

I am very new to OpticStudio , and while a course is still pending within my company, I am trying to figure stuff out myself. So forgive me if my questions turn out to be very basic. I would very much appreciate it though, if any help is available.

I am doing a thermal analysis for my optics design. My design is quite simple:

I have an optical fiber in front of an aspheric plano-convex collimating lens:

screenshot of lens data editor

When I first set up my minimum and maximum temperatures, the multi-configuration editor opens. 
There you see the configurations that were automatically created. On each line a different operand is shown and its value for each configuration (i.e., column) is given. Below is a screen shot of the system:

Screen shot of multi-configuration data editor

I was expecting that surface 3, the convex surface of the lens would automatically be changed as a function of temperature as well. In other words, in the multi-configuration editor I would have expected a line with the operand ‘CRVT’ specified for surface 3, that would give me the value for each temperature.

Why doesn’t OpticStudio does this?

The radius of curvature of  a convex lens will change with temperature, as the lens’ material will expand or shrink with a change of temperature. 

Thank you very much if someone could explain what’s going on.

Best,

Monica

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 3 November 2021, 15:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Monica

I have checked OpticStudio behavior with the sample file called "{Zemax}\Samples\Sequential\Objectives\Even Asphere.zmx". The curvature is correctly added in the multi-configuration editor. Just scroll down :-)

Let us know if I miss anything. Thank you!

Dear Sandrine,

Thank you for your answer! I should work then as I expected.

Best,

Monica