Solved

Question about Designing an Diffractive Grating with Lumerical FDTD and Zemax OpticStudio

• 1 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello! I want to design the grating in lumerial and import it into ZEMAX to design and optimize the diffractive optical waveguide. I recently saw some articles and videos about lumerial and ZEMAX. So far, I have learned about and learned an example of a metalens. In that example, lumericall fdtd/rcwa exported a file in ZBF format to ZEMAX. However, the method of that example does not seem to be applicable to the analysis of gratings in diffractive optical waveguide systems.

I saw in other videos that the grating designed in FDTD can be exported to JSON format file, and then imported using the DLL of diffraction grating in ZEMAX. I want to know how to export files in this format in FDTD? What data need to be exported? Are there any examples of lumerial scripts? Because I only saw the demo in the video and didn't find other materials. (I know that ZEMAX is still developing the dynamic link function, but I don't need this function yet).

Below are links to related videos

https://v.ansys.com.cn/play/ePUnlH67

https://v.ansys.com.cn/play/MRbXiOc0

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by designerguy13-photonics 1 August 2022, 07:47

View original

3 replies

For example, how can I get the script in this example? Or are there other scripts or examples for me to learn?

Userlevel 2
Badge

For example, how can I get the script in this example? Or are there other scripts or examples for me to learn?

Hi @Maoxiong , 

Thanks for posting this question. The diffraction gratings are really a talk of the town these days. Interstingly, I have also been working on the similar stuff. Knowing that the use of diffraction gratings changes abruptly as per different application, one way to go for your simulation is to use exmples in the Lumerical application gallery and then modify them for your work (which is simply like mimicing the GUI process flow and then doing post-processing via means of extracting and plotting the data);

The other way around in case you are not comfortable with using their scripting language, lumerical has this very good feature of exporting their simulated data in both image or text format which you then can post process using any third party tool like Origin etc. 

Hope that might help.

Also note that the lumerical works well with nanoscale device and using macro-scale causes my screen to hung-up due to computational memory limits. I hope in coming time, with Ansys-Lumerical-Zemax integration, we might find this feature as well.

&This example