Solved

Problem in refractive index on non sequntial mode

• 9 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I have a problem in nsq simulation where the refractive index of one of the lenses is not working properly.

The problem is obejct 12 & 15 interface- they are from the same material but there is refraction on the interface.

Thanks in advance,

Nadav

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 10 January 2024, 13:09

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @nadav.amitai,

If you zoom into your Layout, you can see that the two surfaces are not exactly in contact.

If you run a raytrace with a couple of rays and save the raydatabase, you can then examine a ray:

In blue you can see the segments of the ray that are relevant. At segment 17, the ray hits Object 12 while it was in Object 1. At segment 18, the ray hits the other end of Object 12 while it was still inside Object 12. Finally, at segment 19, the ray hits Object 15 but it was in Object 1 (N-Bk7) instead of 12, which is probably why you still have the refraction.

Am I making sense? Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Hi David,

Thanks for the answer, but I do not understand how the ray can suddenly be inside object 1.

How I make this ray trace?

Best regards,

Nadav

Userlevel 1

Hi

I am adding the sequntial mode of the file. Maybe it will help to understand what I am trying to achieve.

Moreover, I add the nsq file again.

Thanks,

Nadav

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@nadav.amitai,

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The Object 1 is just a red herring. As I mentioned the problem is that the two surfaces are not touching each other (they are not within the Glue Distance). Currently Object 12 is at Y Position = 15.3, and Object 15 is at Y Position = 19.27, the distance between these two object vertices is 19.27 - 15.3 = 3.97. However, the Thickness of Object 12 is 3.96825673794112754, which means your two Compound Lenses are 0.00174326205887246 lens units away (which is greater than the default Glue Distance of 1E-6). You can solve it by adjusting the Y Position of Object 15. I’m showing an example with a Pick-up below:

Does that make snese?

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Hi David,

It’s works now! Thanks for the detailed answer.

Best regards,

Nadav