Prism Drawing

• 18 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I would like use the ISO Element Drawing for wedges, prisms and other tilted surfaces but I don't discover the way.

It would be very useful to fullfil the specifications with LDE and TDE.

I can do it only with Standard Surfaces.

Anybody knows a procedure different than convert in CAD model and implementation in CAD software ?

Thanks

Edgard

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Edgard,

Thank you for your post!

If you are creating the prism or wedge effect using a Tilted Surface type, the ISO Element Drawing tool will be able to handle it and create proper drawings, as long as the apertures on the front and back faces are sized properly. I made a dummy file to show this as attached. 

However, if you are using Coordinate Break surfaces to creat the tilt effect, the ISO element drawing tool may not be able to draw this properly. 

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. 

Best regards,

Hui

Hi Hui,

it was exactly what i did, unsuccesfully.

However I understood what are the differences between your file and mine and i discovered that the ISO element drawing is only effective if the tilted element has the angle in Y axis.

Then we need to turn the prism around Z (coord break) and change the axis where is the angle.

It seems that is a bug or i had not read anywhere the limitation

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Edgard

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Edgard,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The ISO Element Drawing tool draws the prism properly when the tilt angle is visible on the YZ cross section. If the tilt angle in on the XZ cross section, you could use the Coordinate Break surfaces to rotate the prism 90 degrees about the Z axis for the ISO Element Drawing tool to draw it properly.

The ISO 10110 Element Drawing is an interpretation of the drawing specification “ISO 10110 Optics and Optical Instruments -- Preparation of drawings for optical elements and systems: A User's Guide”, by Ronald K. Kimmel and Robert E. Parks, eds., published by the Optical Society of America. You could find more information regarding this tool in this reference, or you could also refer to the OSA’s web site at www.osa.org for more information.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. 

Best regards,

Hui