Physical optics propagation through paraxial surface

• 1 April 2021
  • 1 reply

• Single Emitter
  • 0 replies

The attachment is my design. I am trying to use Physical optics propagation to find out the output beam size, but POP result is weird when I include a paraxial lens (surface 1) into the propagation and set the gaussian beam waist to be the beam size of the input fiber waist. But when I exclude the paraxial lens(start propagation from surface 2) and set the gaussian beam waist to be the beam width after the paraxial lens, the result becomes more reasonable. 

1. Does POP accept paraxial surface? 

2. When I define the gaussian beam waist in POP, is the waist location always assume to be at the starting surface?

Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Jingkai,

Thank you for your post!

When using POP analysis, it's recommended to use real lens instead of Paraxial surface, so the phase can be computed accurately using POP analysis.

When defining a Gaussian beam in POP, the beam waist is by default being placed at the Start Surface. You can use the 'Surface To Beam' option to offset the beam waist location relative to the Start Surface. 

I have opened a case to address your question since you have also sent in a support request via email to our support inbox. Please feel free to reply to my email if you have further quesitons. 

Best regards,

Hui