Solved

Parameter for Merit Function in multi-configuration

Badge

Hello everyone, is it possible to set the parameters of the merit function in order to respect two configurations simultaneously?

For example i want to obtain a lens position in order to respect two different configurations.

Thanks 

Marco

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 18 May 2022, 23:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Marco,

That is what the Multi-Configuration is for, I think.

In the Merit Function, there’s an operand called CONF. This operand has a single parameter, the configuration number (Cfg#). The Merit Function is calculated by rows (top-to-bottom), and when OpticStudio encounters the CONF operand it changes the system configuration to the one supplied with the Cfg# parameter.

In practice, if you have a Multi-Configuration system, and you use the Optimization Wizard, there’s a drop-down menu where you can specify to optimize across all configurations (it should be the default).

If you apply the optimization across all configurations with the wizard, you should get a Merit Function that look like so:

You can see that OpticStudio has actually made two Merit functions separated by the CONF operands.

The system will be optimized for both configuration.

Does that answer your question?

Take care,

David

Badge

Hi David
First of all thanks for reply.
The problem is that when I launch the optimizer, the single variable changes in order to respect only one of the two configurations. I mean that the value it finds of the variable is relative to only one of the two configurations. I want to find a variable in order to respect 2 configuration at same time.
Thanks
Marco

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Marco,

I’m assuming that your variable is in the Multi-Configuration Editor, and you’ve set both configurations to variable. If that is the case, what you could try instead is to pick-up the value from the first configuration for the second configuration (using a Pick-Up Solve), if that makes sense. That way, the first variable gets optimized, and in the second configuration it is simply picked up from the first configuration. It’ll stay the same, but the rest of the system will be optimized based on this value. Technically, it is not optimizing the variable at the same time for the two configurations, but its the only thing I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: If your variable is not inside the Multi-Configuration Editor, I think it gets optimized based on both configuration actually. Would you mind sharing an example file that demonstrate your issue?

I’ll send you some screenshot of what I have in mind tomorrow, in case it isn’t clear.

Take care,

David